Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Incipio

This morning my wife called me on her way home from work (she works nights), and posed me a question: "can we try out a conscientious diet?" We had been watching Food, Inc. at lunch the day before, and both of us were kind of uneasy about it afterwards.

I'm not a squeamish person. I understand that the chicken, pork and beef in the neat Styrofoam tray at the grocery store was clicking, oinking or mooing at some point in the near past. What I don't like is the idea of mutant chickens that can't stand up and who haven't seen the light of day or pigs and cows that go to their death covered in their own feces. It's not very appetizing.

So here's the plan:
  • Try to purchase food in it's most basic form - i.e. oranges instead of orange slices, heads of lettuce instead of bagged lettuce, etc.
  • Buy organic whenever possible
  • Buy Non GMO whenever possible
  • Buy cruelty-free meat and dairy whenever possible
  • Buy locally grown as much as possible
  • Buy produce in-season as much as possible
Oh, and I live in the middle of nowhere, Alabama, so I have to find as much as I can in my small-town grocery store.

My goal for the next year is to eat a well balanced, environmentally responsible and somewhat tasty diet, and record it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment